Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Stars My Destination


In Bester's novel we are taken through the journey of Foyle following his transformation while dealing with a drama oriented life through war. I was taken by my own thoughts of all the possibilities of what I could do if I had the ability to 'jaunte' from one place to another. Although teleportation isn't a new idea, it made the action of the book even more intense for me and gave me the ability to put myself into some situations of what I would do. I loved expanding on what possibilities and curves could be taken throughout the course of the book.


I will point out that frustrated me while reading it was the dialect in the book and Im sure I am not the first to point this out. It was what I was not used to reading so throughout the book it was a bit choppy and interrupted the rhythm because I had to make sure I understood proper linguistics to understand fully. There were concepts and ideas that he wrote about and made them possible 'just because' such as teleportation that were full of holes. This came to mind mind throughout the book but I am aware that he is not the only one who writes about sci fi and developes unexpained rules that the audience is meant to accept for the sake of the story. 


This space exploration book kept my attention the most because he also demonstrated human sociology through his characters. I appreciated this humanistic trend in the book combined with the science fiction because it brought it more to life and again helped me connect with the characters more. He especially does this with Foyle's character which is a twist from the typical 'pure' hero or villain that I see in other books. This novel along with Warbreaker was able to make main characters easy to understand because of physical changes of the body (such as hair color or facial tattoos.) He makes him more human by giving him a sinful side also focusing on transforming himself for the better much like what all beings strive to do as we evolve and become more educated with lessons of every day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment