Sunday, November 6, 2011

Samuel R. Delany, Babel17/Empire Star



Normally slow moving plots even bore me which goes for movies as well. I kept up with reading this short novel was for a recent project I had to create out of linguistics inspired by a Syntax art show in Tampa. I will admit there were points in Empire Star where I was getting the authors intelligence mixed with boredom.

Babel 17 we are introduced to a woman who indulges her ability to decode a foreign language for military espionage. As I started reading I was poking fun at the description of the main character; beautiful, talented, smart, well known. I think that the character description was typical and too disney princess, it was really unnecessary.

I can understand Delany's desire to get the audience interested in the slow paced philosophical area, and I am guessing I missed a lot of his games he strung throughout the story but I would have to read this story a couple times to grasp full understanding of every corner of the book. The portion of the reading that kept my attention allowed me to grasp a colorful image of characteristics (since it was not as intimate as other stories) was their ability to transform themselves so vastly the characters took on different animals, mainly reptiles. It was this part where I was able to make my own assumptions about the characters depending on what type of animal they took on to understands peoples individuality more because of the connection with typical animalistic behavior.

Also as we stated in class, this book dissects the language more so than the plot or characters. Its a book that takes time and patience. I don't have an interest in getting into books like these further but I cannot say I completely hated it. I did not get a chance to continue onto Empire Star for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment