Thursday, November 17, 2011

Serenity




This movie took no time in diving right into action packed scenes full of savvy humor and kick ass fight scenes. I gave this movie 4 out of 5 which is very good in my book because space flicks lose my attention easily. On a side note, I enjoyed seeing 2 of the actors from other crime scene series that I watch. Mal is an enjoyable character with a little bit of cockiness mixed in. I enjoyed the snappy comebacks the characters did for the comic relief of a battle movie.

I don't think I can ever get past the cheesiness that this genre brings. I think that these types of movies are extremely difficult to act profoundly in because so much is make believe but I think certain 'catchy' phrases from the 80's can be left behind.

I did not enjoy Rivers character at all, she was all sorts of annoying during the film. Her and her brother could have had tweaked personalities come with their intense background but they were overly dramatic which brings back my opinion of the corniness factor. Overall these two characters just reminded of every other anime series where the characters act stone cold due to a 'horrible' past.

I give a full on bravo to set design and special effects. Absolutely stunning! The individuality of sets through the film were always interesting and the make up was done nicely too. The film did well with fast moving fight scenes paying careful attention to detail and the ships looked well down in the fight scenes. Over all it was not a gory film but Serenity was not afraid to show injuries either (especially the carcass stained exterior of the ship part way though made me laugh). Set design and funny dialogue made this film very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment