Monday, November 21, 2011

Software by Rudy Rucker

 
The code of life for robots, simplified to say the least. I, Robot had this code too which was one of my favorite movies even though I have not read the book. I am getting interested in cyberpunk and specifically robots intertwined with human existence. These sort of plots go horribly wrong in creative ways. The human race attempts to play God and create these laws so the robots cannot surpass mankind and we will have ultimate convenience while living in harmony. It seems that whenever codes and laws are developed for robots they evolve and gain a sense of free will, there for creating consequences of trying to gain it; as God gave to man the gift of freewill. In our universe where all living things have free rein of choices, we as imperfections can never create the 'perfect' being.

So not so much an apoctoliptic sci-fi novel, Rucker goes deeper and questions if the 'hardware' really matters anymore. Does it matter if we are body or machine and what advantages will that bring us? Such big ideas actually made me cringe on from my conservative background and being opposed to the whole idea of it but answering 'what if' questions. I thought this book was successful to my taste to bring up theoretical issues of ideas he invents and my perfect perception of a personalized utopia. Thoughout reading this short story, my head was spinning with certain questions that were coming into play such as: Has man kind reached so far into epistemology that we are now crumbling our idea of reality? Will this now open up a new chapter of behavior as humans that we will have to be reborn into a whole knew way of self value and the world around us? If this were to happen to us, would knowledge destroy us instead of giving us power? Rucker did a great job incorporating his ideas of his 'futurist philosophy' in this book, and I would be interested in reading more stories by him. This book fit perfectly into the category for actual possibilities of our future which does not seem impossible for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment